South Whatcom Fire Authority Volunteer / Emergency Response
SWFA recruits the best possible individuals to join our organization and accepts applications for non-trained firefighters twice a year for our firefighter academy and EMT class.
Our recruitment periods begin in March and September for the respective following Fall and Winter firefighter training academies. To become a member, each recruit must pass a cognitive exam, a physical assessment test and an oral board interview.
Successful applicants then must go through drug screening, criminal and driving background checks, and an occupational medical exam. The entire recruiting process takes about 70-90 days to complete.
Our entry-level volunteer hiring process is currently CLOSED.
Please visit our website in early September for our next application period.
Please see information below on becoming a volunteer firefighter with SWFA.
If you have a current EMT or structural firefighting certification and are interested in joining, please contact us at email@example.com to find out about lateral firefighter opportunities year-round.
2022-2 Volunteer Recruitment Timeline:
- March 4th, 2022 – Application period opens.
- CANCELLED – March 10th, 2022 at 6:30 PM at Geneva Fire Station – Prospective Applicant Information Session. **WE SINCERELY APOLOGIZE FOR THOSE THAT SHOWED UP FOR THIS SESSION TO FIND NO ONE AT THE STATION. THIS WAS OUR ERROR AND WE HOPE TO SEE YOU AT OUR APRIL 5TH INFO SESSION.**
- April 5th, 2022 at 6:30 PM at Geneva Fire Station – Prospective Applicant Information Session – (see directions below).
- April 15th, 2022 at 4:00 PM – Application period closes.
- April 26th, 2022 – Written Test
- May 9th – May 12th, 2022 – Interviews (specific dates determined by number of interviews)
- May 16th, 2022 – Conditional offers of positions. Begin background checks and medical exam process.
- June 10th, 2022 – PAT and COVID-19 Vaccination Verification Card Due.
- July 15th, 2022 – Medical physical exams due.
*NOTE: SWFA HAS ADOPTED POLICY ON REQUIRED VACCINES/IMMUNIZATIONS. ALL APPLICANTS MUST SUPPLY PROOF OF VACCINATION/IMMUNIZATION PRIOR TO JUNE 10TH, 2022, OR MEET CRITERIA FOR EXEMPTION IN ACCORDANCE WITH SWFA POLICY. IF VACCINATION RECORDS CANNOT BE OBTAINED, SWFA MAY AUTHORIZE TITER TESTING (AS AVAILABLE) TO VERIFY IMMUNITY IN LIEU OF VACCINATION RECORDS.
INFORMATION SESSION DETAILS
General information sessions will be hosted on March 10th and April 5th at our Geneva Fire Station. These sessions will provide applicants, or those that want more information first, details about our volunteer program and the committments required if they move through the process. Please feel free to take notes and bring your questions to the session. We encourage all applicants to attend one of the sessions.
Location: Geneva Fire Station #21 – 4518 Cable St., Bellingham, WA 98229
Dates/Times: March 10th, 2022 at 6:30 PM and April 5th, 2022 at 6:30 PM
We encourage applicants to schedule a ride-along with us to get an inside look at day-to-day fire station life, and to provide an opportunity to ask questions of our members.
*All ride-along requestors must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and must submit a copy of their COVID-19 vaccination record with their ride-along request form.
To schedule a ride-along, visit our Ride Along Program page.
To submit an application:
- Download the Application form and fill out completely, including the Authorization for Release of Information.
- Provide copy of your completed COVID-19 vaccination card. If not yet complete, you must submit verification of all required doses being completed by no later than June 10th to continue in our process.
- Send completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Applications may also be hand delivered to our administrative offices at 2050 Lake Whatcom Blvd, Bellingham, WA. Applications are only accepted in-person Monday – Friday, 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM.
APPLICATIONS FOR ENTRY-LEVEL VOLUNTEER FIREFIGHTER ARE NO LONGER BEING ACCEPTED. PLEASE TRY BACK IN SEPTEMBER, 2022 FOR OUR NEXT RECRUITMENT PERIOD.
We will review your application and reach out via email with additional information on the next steps of the process.
*Note: Dates in the information below are NOT accurate. Use dates above, under the current recruitment timeline section.