South Whatcom Fire Authority Volunteer / Emergency Response
SWFA recruits the best possible individuals to join our organization and accepts applications for non-trained firefighters twice a year for our firefighter academy and EMT class.
Our recruitment periods begin in March and September for the respective following Fall and Winter firefighter training academies. To become a member, each recruit must pass a cognitive exam, a physical assessment test and an oral board interview.
Successful applicants then must go through drug screening, criminal and driving background checks, and an occupational medical exam. The entire recruiting process takes about 70-90 days to complete.
Our entry-level volunteer hiring process is currently CLOSED.
Please check back in March 2021 for our next process.
Please see information below on becoming a volunteer firefighter with SWFA.
If you have a current EMT or structural firefighting certification and are interested in joining, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out about lateral firefighter opportunities year-round.
Winter Volunteer Recruitment Timeline:
- Volunteer Information Night (virtual) – November 4, 2020 at 5:30 – 7:00 PM
- Applications Due – November 9, 2020 at 4:00 PM (NOW CLOSED)
- Written Exam – November 11, 2020 (Online- Times to be assigned)
- Interviews – Week of November 16-19, 2020 (Times will be assigned)
- Administrative Tasks – November 19-December 31, 2020
- Academy Start – 2nd Week of January, 2021 (Date and Schedule TBD)
To submit an application:
- Download the Application form and fill out completely, including the Authorization for Release of Information.
- Send completed form to email@example.com.
APPLICATIONS FOR ENTRY-LEVEL VOLUNTEER FIREFIGHTER ARE NO LONGER BEING ACCEPTED.
We will review your application and reach out via email with additional information on the next steps of the process.